Merseyside Police are investigating after youths ‘drop lit firework in homeless man’s pocket’

A group of youths have reportedly dropped a lit firework inside a homeless man’s pocket on Bonfire Night.

Images on social media appear to show his burnt clothing and red marks on his skin following the incident at around 8.20pm on Lime Street in Liverpool city centre.

The Papercup Project, which is the Liverpool volunteer outreach group were first at the scene to look after the man. Watch below as we joined them last year on the streets of Liverpool City Centre.

Michelle Langan from The Papercup Project told us: “Hopefully who ever did this will be caught, it’s appalling that people are doing things like this to the most vulnerable people on our streets. It could have been much worse and the victim is so lucky to not have been seriously hurt”

Andy Shute, who also volunteers for the Paper Cup homeless project in Liverpool, said the victim was a former Army serviceman who said he was targeted by four teenagers.

“In the worst case we could be looking at a guy having his leg amputated today.

“As they walked past him one of them said ‘have a sparking good night mate’, and after that he could smell burning and see his jacket was alight.

“He said he had dealt with flash bangs in the army and his leg would’ve been a lot worse were his wallet not in the way.

“It’s appalling what people are prepared to do to get their kicks.”

Merseyside Police said they had not located the homeless man so far, but inquiries are ongoing.

Chief Inspector Paddy Kelly said: “This appears to be a shocking incident and currently our main priority is to locate the victim and ensure he is safe and well.

“We are carrying out thorough witness and CCTV inquiries in Lime Street and the surrounding areas and I would urge anyone with information to please come forward.

“To misuse fireworks is highly irresponsible behaviour which will not be tolerated, and we are determined to locate the offenders and put them before the courts.”

A short distance away, fire crews escaped unharmed after a man shot a missile in their direction, Merseyside Fire and Rescue service said.

Leave a Comment