One of Liverpool’s best loved comedy shows is getting its own sequel and it opens soon!

This news fills us with joy – one of the city’s best loved theatre comedies is getting its own sequel, meaning we will finally find out what happens to Ann Twacky and her mates.

Dave Kirby and Nicky Allt’s Brick Up The Mersey Tunnels has run at Liverpool’s Royal Court six times since its debut in 2006. The two writers have come back together to write a new show that begins the day after the first show finishes.

With the original having sold more than 175,000 tickets over the years, the theatre are looking forward to giving Brick Up fans something new to get their teeth into.

The majority of the original cast are back for this sequel, which runs for four and a half weeks this spring. Roy Brandon, Eithne Browne, Carl Chase, Suzanne Collins, Paul Duckworth, Andrew Schofield and Francis Tucker all return to their roles while Danny Burns is added to the cast. Bob Eaton will direct again, the set design is by Billy Meall and Howard Gray is back as Musical Director.

The tunnels are blocked, the Runcorn Bridge is rubble and The Kingsway Three have completed their mission. But The Wirral are not going to take this lying down!

Led by Ann Twacky, a hardy bunch of the Wirralians are rising up and calling for Birkenhexit. They don’t want the tunnels back and they are prepared to go to extremes to keep them shut. They can do just fine on their own, thank you very much.

Last year we met Suzanne Collins on stage as Brick Up the Mersey Tunnels (Part One) opened again at the Royal Court, watch the chat below.

Dave Kirby said: “Resurrecting these classic characters has been one long constant laugh. We laughed non-stop when writing it and have been falling about in stitches in rehearsals. The Royal Court will probably need another refurb cos the roof is gonna come off! I can’t wait.”

Nicky Allt is also looking forward to the show: “It’s been brilliant seeing all the old Brick Up gang as the level of talent on show has you relaxing knowing that what you’ve written is in great hands and they will make the story as good as it possibly can be. The Brick Up gang are all comedy talents in their own right and here in rehearsals this is looking funnier than ever. I’m buzzing for opening night.”

Kevin Fearon, Executive Producer of Liverpool’s Royal Court, said “Our audience are always asking when there will be a sequel to Brick Up The Mersey Tunnels and it’s finally here. The same characters are involved in this show and there are plenty of great gags and songs, as there were in the original. We are all looking forward to having Dickie Lewis, Ann Twacky and the gang on stage again and, judging by the busy box office, the audience are too!”

As with all Royal Court productions, dinner will be available before the show in the stalls, lovingly prepared by head chef Simon Collard.

Brick Up 2 The Wrath Of Ann Twacky runs from Friday 27 January to Saturday 25 February 2017. Tickets and information are available from www.royalcourtliverpool.com or on 0151 709 4321

For more news on the area’s biggest and best shows check out our theatre section here.

Leave a Comment