Sword fights, Mermaids, Poldark & more for Pirate Festival on the Dock
It has firmly become a swash-buckling fixture in Liverpool’s family calendar of events and this year will see more Pirates, Ships, Cannon fire & Sails than ever before, as Pirate Festival on the Dock returns for 2016 Saturday & Sunday September 10th & 11th.
Claire Simmo went to find out more with Albert Dock Marketing Manager, Clare Rawlinson – watch the chat above for all the info you need.
Tall ship Phoenix – made famous for her appearance in the hit BBC TV show, Poldark – will be sailing into the Dock giving visitors the chance to get up, close and personal with this true star of the silver screen.
The beautiful, two-mast Brig, who has also appeared in the likes of Doctor Who, Outlander, and Taboo, starring Tom Hardy, will form the centerpiece of a dramatic live pirate battle under sail in the centre of Albert Dock, that will include Tall ship Glaciere, ear-piercing cannon-fire, and a cast of crew, actors and stuntmen, some who have worked on Game of Thrones, Pirates of the Caribbean, and the Harry Potter movies. The thrilling action will be interwoven with local folklore and the fascinating heritage of the Liverpool privateers who once plundered the seven seas.
Part of the Albert Dock Liverpool 175 strategy, Pirate Festival on the Dock will also feature theatrical swordfights, captivating storytelling, the new Pirates and Mermaid Parade, and a talent show hosted by icon of children’s TV, Dave Benson Phillips, of Get Your Own Back fame!
Clare Rawlinson, marketing manager, said:
“It’s all hands on deck as we prepare to welcome the beautiful Tall ship Phoenix for this year’s explosive Pirate Festival on the Dock. To have such an iconic ship take part in the event is a real coup and it will be a visual treat to see her in the centre of Albert Dock. It’s definitely a moment not-to-be-missed!
“We promise visitors two days of storytelling, stunts, and fun and games with the one and only Dave Benson Phillips. And we want to see as many people as possible dressed in their best pirate and mermaid costume for the parade.”
Pirate Festival on the Dock programme highlights:-
- Storytelling aboard The Daniel “Danny” Adamson steamship (11.30am, 12.30pm, 2.30pm, 3.40pm and 4.40pm) – hear about the Pirate Princess with singing, dancing and games!
- Pirates and Mermaid Parade (starting at Hartley Quay, 12.30pm, Saturday only) – The Mermaid of Black Rock, who, according to local folklore appeared off the coast of north Wirral, will lead the cast of pirates, drummers and of course, members of the public in their best costumes, on a magical parade, inspired by the legendary Coney Island Mermaid Parade in America
- Games and talent show with Dave Benson Phillips (Hartley Quay main stage, 1pm and 4pm)
- Pirate combat – swordfights and stunts (Anchor Courtyard, 1.30pm)
- Let our storyteller regale you with the story of The Mermaid of Black Rock – a tale of magic, mystery, and deception that will mesmerise children and adults alike (Hartley Quay main stage, 12 noon and 2pm)
- Battle of the Pirates (3pm, in the centre of Albert Dock) – cheer for your favourite pirate as the Liverpool privateers fight the bad guys
- Falconry displays, music, shanty and walkabout jugglers!
- Pirate-themed fun and games onboard Mersey Ferries’ River Explorer Cruises from 12noon to 5pm on the Saturday only – plus kids in pirate fancy dress travel FREE (one child free with every full paying adult) on Saturday, September 10 only
Groups wanting to take part in the parade need to contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Individuals can simply join in on the day.
For more information on upcoming events at Albert Dock, please visit the Albert Dock website. Join us on Twitter – @theAlbertDock #PirateDock16