The One Wirral 2019 Community Event will takeover Birkenhead Park this weekend
Local charities, Options for Supported Living and Wirral Mencap, are bringing back Wirral’s most inclusive festival – One Wirral – for the third year running.
The event that saw around 4000 attendees last summer will return to Birkenhead Park on Saturday 17th August, from 11am to 4pm, once again to celebrate inclusion and diversity in the community.
One Wirral will feature a range of fun activities for everyone to enjoy, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, religion, cultural views, sexuality or disability. The day will be filled with performances, exhibitions, workshops, opportunities and children’s activities.
The festival boasts 7 themed zones:
- Music Zone – Stage area with a range of acts performing throughout the day
- Active Zone – Sports and fun activities, including a giant inflatable assault course, ping pong, boccia, bikes, basketball, plus many more
- Community Zone – Fete-style stalls from local community groups, voluntary organisations, charities, local crafters and artisan food sellers – get everything from fresh bread to trampoline classes!
- Cultural Zone – Experience exhibitions, dance and tastes of food from around the world with Wirral Change
- Nature Zone – Featuring donkey rides, bees and dog shows to compete in
- Chilled Zone – With yoga, sensory, singing, relaxation and acoustic vibes as hosted by Happy Times
- Unplugged Zone – Pop up performances from local groups and opportunities for anyone to perform throughout the day
As well as the Queensway and Kingsway Tents full to the brim of activities and workshops such as drumming, cookery demonstrations with Baytree Cookery Academy, arts and crafts, singing and signing, puppetry sessions and a make your own costume station in time for a Fancy Dress Competition!
Most importantly, people with disabilities have played a key role in organising the event. Not only will the festival be a great day out for the community, it aims to highlight the achievements and positive contributions made to society by local people with a learning disability.
To deliver the message of inclusion and to showcase how easy it is to make public events accessible for all, One Wirral features several inclusive elements such as mobility scooters, sign language interpreters, accessible bikes, sensory activities and a Changing Places facility with hoist.
Representative of Options for Supported Living, Lisa Goulding, who is one of the event leads said: “We’re really looking forward to bringing the community together to celebrate our differences and the inclusivity of Wirral, all while making One Wirral bigger and better than years before. We can’t wait to see you there!”
Sharon Nicholson from Wirral Mencap said: “There is such a lot to celebrate in Wirral! We have had a fantastic response from the Wirral community. Local businesses, charities, performers and community groups have been keen to get involved and we’ve been able to come together and create a superb programme that’s got something for everyone. Come along and celebrate with us.”
One Wirral 2019 is free entry for everyone, no tickets needed, simply come along and enjoy the borough’s most inclusive summer festival!